Saturday, April 08, 2006

Vindication!

1 -- Judge Disses "Da Vinci" Lawsuit. Common sense prevails, for once! You just can't have it both ways. If Baigent and Leigh's book is non-fiction, there is no case. You can't copyright facts. If it's fiction, then they join Frey on the hot seat. Either way, they are not the only ones to have made these claims; they're centuries old. Realistically, I agree with the writer of this article: Baigent and Leigh got what they were after -- publicity and enough present and future sales to more than make up the cost of the suit. Personal aggrandizement trumps all.

2 -- "Casablanca" named greatest movie script. That has been my contention since the first time I ever saw this movie way back when. It is quite simply the best movie ever made. Not the "colorized" version, either. The black-and-white is an integral part of the film's atmosphere, and the play of light and shadow is astoundingly beautiful. Ingrid Bergman was a stone babe, too. What I find so marvelous about this is that this screenplay was literaly written on the fly. When they started filming, nobody knew exactly where the story was going or how it would end. For this screenplay to have engendered so many wonderful lines* is an amazing exhibition of writing talent.

* "Here's looking at you, kid."
"We'll always have Paris."
"If you don't get on that plane, you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life."
"Louis, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
"Round up the usual suspects."
"Everybody comes to Rick's."
"You played it for her, you can play it for me. Play it, Sam." (NOT "Play it again, Sam.")
"The troubles of two little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this old world."
Etc., etc., etc.

4 Comments:

At 2:41 AM, Blogger Melly said...

Were all these quotes just for me???
Just kiddin'. My head isn't that big. I hope.

In any event, quotes from movies are great since we can all put them in the right context.

As for the Da Vinci lawsuit, the article makes sense to me too. If nothing else, it sure geave them huge publicity.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Jpatrick said...

After I'd read some of the facts regarding the DaVinci Code, I didn't think that suit was going very far. Still, it might have been better if Brown had offered a bibliography. I never saw one in the paperback copy that I read.

Michael Crichton almost always supplies a bibliography with his. Never heard of him getting sued.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Carter said...

I tiold you I'd give you some quotes, didn't I, Melly? Watch out, I might quote you! ;)

jpatrick, I always worry when attorneys get hold of something. Common sense has a way of vanishing in the wind. In this case, I wonder if a bibliography would have done any good. These guys seem to have been ready to sue no matter what.

I think the big difference is that Crichton takes hard science and extrapolates from it. Brown used conjecture presented as fact as the basis for his story. now Biagent and Leigh want to say that they own a copyright on their facts, which is patently impossible.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger latifmhdx said...

I am not too aware with the DaVinci Code. But after reading here I can somehow understand. I really like it, because this is very interesting are to discuss.

radio controlled helicopters

 

Post a Comment

<< Home