Saturday, April 01, 2006

What Rough Beast?

A lot of exciting and terrifying advances in technology catch my eye these days. Though I think the research is great, I have doubts about putting such things into the hands of people. Some of the future ethical and technological issues are complex to say the least, and the some of the implications of these developments are downright frightening. The latest:

IBM researchers have developed tools that are a large step toward building computers on the atomic level.

European researchers have successfully fused living neurons with semi-conductors.

Kansas House rejected a bill that would prohibit creation of human-animal chimeras. This is the same government that thinks teaching "Creation Science" is a good idea. I wish they would make up their minds.

I will leave you to form your own opinions about these things, since I know my readers are all intelligent people. I think the developments are exciting and interesting, but the future implications are terrifying. Science fiction writers take note. Thar's gold in them thar news.

2 Comments:

At 3:58 AM, Blogger Joel said...

Mmmm. Lot of good stuff. Did you see that article about the woman with perfect memory? And she's not autistic, either.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Carter said...

I missed that one. My understanding is that autism is a condition that ranges from almost undetectable to severe. I wonder if her perfect memory is her only symptom. If so, what a wonderful condition to have!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home