Thursday, May 11, 2006

It's Alive! It's ALIVE!!!

Brain function is returning, albeit slowly. Posting will remain infrequent for a while, as I get back up to speed. Speaking of which, my next post will most likely be from my new digs. I'll post a link here to let those who care know where I've gone.

And speaking of those who care, thanks to all for the good wishes. My blog friends are important to me, and I value your concern and well-wishes.

I've written about this in the past, but I think its a point that needs to be stressed, since there are still a lot of people, including many, many doctors, who don't understand that depression has two parts: a mental part, to be sure, but also a physical part. Often, a lot of the mental symptoms are a reflection of reduced neuron efficiency in the brain and reduced activity in the hippocampus, which controls higher brain functions.

It is vital to get treatment for both sides of the disorder. For that reason, I encourage anyone who has Major Depression to go see a psychiatrist. They have MD's. They are familiar with neuro-anatomy and neuro-chemistry, andthey keep current on medications and their physical effects. A GP who just throws Zoloft or Prozac or, today's favorite, Paxil at you is not doing you any good. You need a doctor who can evaluate your specific needs carefully and find just exactly the right medication(s) and dosage(s) that you need. It's different for just about everybody.

It took my psychiatrist and I nearly three years to get the right combination. I have taken nearly every anti-depressant and anti-psychotic (they help me slepp better) currently being prescribed. I went through some bad times with side effects, too, but I'm glad now that I did. Now that I have a pretty firm physical base to stand on, we can start doing some really effective therapy.

You might find it strange that I would say that after going through nearly six weeks of unrelenting depression. My conclusion, and my psychiatrist agrees, is that this particular episode was brought on simply by fatigue and stress. My brain had to withdraw for a while in self-defense, to avoid much larger problems later. Cortisol kills.

I'll be around and about more as time goes by.

5 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Carter, Thank you for posting information like this. It helps me to better understand depression. You've had a lot of life events going on that would be stressful even without depression.

I'm looking forward to checking out your new digs. I'll definitely update links and meet you there.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Carter said...

Hi Jean. I'm glad to be coming back. When it comes to depression, we're all trying to figure this thing out, doctors and patients alike. I just hope somebody can get a little benefit from my experiences.

Come see me: http://www.carternipper.com/wordpress/

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Great post on depression, Carter. And wonderful to see you back. Glad you're starting to regain your equilibrium. :)

~ Eponin

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Carter said...

Hey Eponin,

It's great to be back. I hate losing weeks out of my life that way. Something I have to live with, though.

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Bebsion said...

As an effective medicine, paxil would surely provide you immense relief if you are in the grip of panic disorder, depression or generalized anxiety disorder but it is altogether true that the usage of Paxil occasionally facilitates certain side-effects such as headache, low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat et al. These side-effects can yield serious results if not treated immediately hence take this medicine only on proper prescription.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home